Facelift: Restore Youthfulness & Vitality to Your Appearance
Gravity, genetics, the environment and lifestyle choices/habits can become etched on our faces over time. As we age, facial skin is prone to fine lines and creases, sagging and volume loss, causing us to look older on the outside than we feel on the inside.
While there are non-surgical facial rejuvenation options that can give your appearance a temporary boost, a more lasting and dramatic option is to have a facelift. Dr. David Allison combines years of surgical training with an artistic eye to create natural-looking, yet striking, results that can last for years. Some patients elect to have a facelift in Gainesville, VA, before their facial imperfections are too pronounced so the changes are subtle. If you choose to have a facelift earlier in life (in your 40s or 50s), friends may not know why you look more refreshed – only that you do!
Reasons for Facelifts
Facelifts can correct a variety of conditions including:
- Loose, sagging skin
- Deep creases and wrinkles
- Droopy eyelids
What to Expect with a Facelift
- General or local anesthesia or sedatives are administered.
- One or more incisions are made to allow Dr. Allison to gently lift the skin, remove excess fat and skin and reposition and tighten the underlying muscles and connective tissues.
- The location and length of the incisions will depend on the facial areas you wish to smooth and tighten. Every effort is made to keep the incisions as inconspicuous as possible, hiding them along the hairline or around the ear.
- After surgery the incisions are closed with sutures or staples and the area is covered to aid in healing and keeping the area clean. Cold compresses and pain medication will ease discomfort, swelling and bruising as the incisions heal. A temporary drainage tube may be inserted to aid in healing.
Plan to recover from facelift surgery for 2-3 weeks. It is important to follow Dr. Allison’s post-op instructions and keep your follow-up appointments to ensure there are no complications and your face is healing properly. If possible, have a friend or family member provide support at home (cooking, cleaning, child-care, etc.) so you can rest properly.
Strenuous activities should be avoided until you are fully healed. If you are a smoker, resuming this habit before Dr. Allison gives approval may slow your healing and lead to other complications.
Although facelifts do have certain risks, making sure you are a good candidate for the procedure and choosing a skilled facelift doctor in Gainesville will help minimize those risks including:
- Nerve damage
- Facial numbness
- Blood clots
Facelift surgery results don’t last forever, but by living a healthy lifestyle, not smoking, avoiding sun exposure and treating your skin with respect, you may find 10 years or more of happiness with your results.
To learn more about facelifts with Dr. Allison and to find out if you are a good candidate for this amazing procedure, contact us to schedule a free Cosmetic Consultation.