Gummy bear implants are a type of silicone breast implant. The cohesive gel in a gummy bear implant is thicker, firmer and more stable than regular silicone but also pliable and strong. These implants use a silicone outer shell and come pre-filled with the appropriate amount of volume to achieve the breast size you desire. Some women say that the consistency of these implantslooks and feels more like regular breast tissue than other implant options.
Benefits of Gummy Bear Implants
- Cohesive gel is more stable and durable
- If the implant ruptures, the gel remains in place and the implant retains its shape
- Capsular contracture (scar tissue compression that can lead to tight, hard breasts) is less likely to occur in non-ruptured implants
Drawbacks of Gummy Bear Implants
- Implant ruptures may go undetected because the gel retains its shape
- A larger incision may be necessary to insert the pre-filled implant
Gummy Bear Implant Risks
Besides implant rupture, there are other risks associated with breast implant surgery:
- Scar tissue forming around the implant (capsular contracture)
- Breast sensation changes
- Interference with mammogram readings/results
- General dissatisfaction with the size or appearance of the breasts
As with any breast implant, a gummy bear implant may need to be replaced in the future; the lifespan of breast implants is approximately 10 years. The risks associated with implants can be minimized by choosing an experienced and well-trained surgeon and having regular exams to monitor any changes in your breasts.
To learn more about gummy bear implants in Gainesville, contact us to schedule a free Cosmetic Consultation.