When you decide to get breast implants in Gainesville, VA, one of the decisions you need to make is what type of implant you want. While all implants are made using an outer silicone shell, the contents of the shell can either be silicone or saline. Silicone-filled implants are pre-filled with the appropriate amount of volume to achieve the breast size you desire.
Benefits of Silicone Implants
- The sticky silicone gel can look and feel more like a woman’s natural breast tissue (as opposed to saline implants)
- In the event of an implant rupture, the gel will not leak into the body as easily as saline
Drawbacks of Silicone Implants
- Implant ruptures may go undetected because there is not instant deflation as with saline implants
- A larger incision may be necessary to insert the pre-filled implant
Silicone Breast Implant Risks
Besides implant rupture, there are other risks associated with breast implant surgery:
- Scar tissue forming around the implant (capsular contracture)
- Breast sensation changes
- Rippling or indentations
- Interference with mammogram readings/results
- General dissatisfaction with the size or appearance of the breasts
Revision surgery may be necessary to replace breast implants; on average implants will last approximately 10 years. The risks associated with implants can be minimized by choosing an experienced and well-trained surgeon and having regular exams to monitor any changes in your breasts.
Silicone Implants & Safety
The use of silicone implants for breast augmentation was banned between 1992 and 2006 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). During this 14-year timeframe, the FDA ran numerous studies to examine reports of serious complications resulting from ruptured silicone implants, including diseases, chronic fatigue syndrome and cancer. After deeming silicone implants safe and effective, the FDA lifted the ban in November of 2006 because their research and studies failed to find a connection between silicone implants and serious diseases.
To learn more about silicone implants in Gainesville, contact us to schedule a free Cosmetic Consultation.