Appear More Alert & Happier with Eyelid Surgery
The skin of our eyelids is very thin and sensitive. In fact, it’s the thinnest skin of our bodies. It’s no wonder that our eyelid skin would be prone to sagging as we age due to loss of skin elasticity and gravity. Unfortunately, sagging eyelid skin can make you appear tired, old and sad. Severe drooping eyelids can even impair your vision.
Facial exercises and skin firming eye creams probably won’t have a significant effect on your lids. A more effective and dramatic option is to have eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty). Dr. David Allison is an eyelid surgeon in Gainesville, VA, who can restore youthfulness and natural-looking alertness, without leaving you with a surprised appearance.
Reasons for Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery can correct a variety of conditions including:
- Loose, sagging eyelid skin
- Excess eyelid fat
- Bags under the eyes
What to Expect with Eyelid Surgery
- General or local anesthesia or sedatives are administered.
- Depending on your unique eyelid issues, incisions will be made in the crease of the upper eyelids or on the lower eyelashes to allow Dr. Allison to gently lift the skin, remove excess skin and fat and then tighten and reposition the underlying muscles and connective tissues.
- After surgery the incisions are closed with sutures. Cold compresses, eye drops, lubricating ointment and pain medication will ease discomfort, swelling and bruising as the incisions heal.
Eyelid Surgery Recovery
Recovery from eyelid surgery may take 1-2 weeks. Enlisting the help of a friend or family member at home will allow you to give your eyelids the rest they need for quick healing. Dr. Allison will provide recovery instructions and will schedule follow-up appointments to assess your healing. It is important to avoid strenuous activities and smoking until you are fully healed.
Eyelid Surgery Risks
You should always be aware of the risk of complications with any type of surgery. Risks of eyelid surgery may include:
- Dry eyes
- Vision loss
- Eyelid discoloration
- Difficulty closing eyelids
The best way to minimize these risks is by choosing a skilled eyelid surgery doctor with a strong track record of success and a gallery of before-and-after photos of past patents – one like Dr. Allison. You can do your part in reducing the risk of complications by following Dr. Allison’s instructions for getting proper rest, adhering to your eye drop regimen, gently cleansing the eyes and attending your follow-up appointments.
Eyelid surgery results do not last forever (the aging process never stops), but most patients are happy with their appearance for 7 years or more after the procedure.
To learn more about eyelid surgery in Gainesville and to find out if you are a good candidate for this eye-opening, eye rejuvenation procedure, contact us to schedule a free Cosmetic Consultation.