Neck Lift: Love the Contour of Your Neck
There are many reasons why the area below your jawline can begin sag and accumulate fat deposits. The normal aging process, genetics, gravity and even stress can take its toll on your neck area resulting in jowls, a double chin or “turkey neck.” Board certified neck lift surgeon Dr. David Allison can create a more youthful, tighter neck contour through a neck lift procedure. Often this procedure is combined with a facelift, eyelid surgery or other procedures for a more complete facial rejuvenation.
What a Neck Lift Can Correct
Neck lifts are performed to:
- Remove excess fat and skin in the neck area
- Tighten loose skin on the neck
- Improve neck muscle tone
- Create a younger-looking neck contour
Neck Lift Procedure
Prior to neck lift surgery, you will be given general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
- The first step is to create an incision so excess skin and fat can be removed and the remaining skin repositioned. This incision may be made under the chin and/or along the hairline in front of the ear, extending around the earlobes to the lower scalp. Dr. Allison works hard to make incisions in the most inconspicuous location as possible.
- Next, excess fat is removed or repositioned and underlying muscles are tightened or repaired. Just the right amount of excess skin is removed to contour the neck.
- The incisions are closed with sutures or skin glue and a bandage applied. Dr. Allison may insert a temporary tube for drainage of excess fluid or blood.
Neck Lift Recovery
Expect to recover from neck lift surgery for at least 2 weeks. During this time you may experience temporary tingling, tightness or burning sensations. You can help minimize complications by implicitly following Dr. Allison’s post-op instructions.
- Keep your post-op appointments with Dr. Allison so your healing can be monitored
- Take prescribed pain medication if needed
- Keep your head elevated and straight
- Do not twist your neck
- Avoid applying ice compresses to the neck
- Avoid sports and strenuous activities for 3 weeks
- Do not smoke for 2-4 weeks as this can affect recovery
Risks of Neck Lifts
A neck lift is an invasive surgical procedure that carries some element of risk. By choosing an experienced board certified surgeon like Dr. Allison, your risk of complications will be greatly reduced. Neck lift surgery risks may include:
- Blood clots
Having a tight, contoured neck area can greatly enhance your appearance and provide a boost to your self-confidence. If you are unhappy with any aspect of your neck area, contact us today to schedule a Cosmetic Consultation and find out if a neck lift in Northern Virginia is right for you.