Facelift: Restore Youthfulness & Vitality to Your Appearance
A facelift is the “pinnacle” of facial rejuvenation. This is a procedure that can help restore a more youthful appearance to facial skin that has begun to sag, wrinkle, crease and “deflate.” This type of procedure can produce drastic results; board certified facelift surgeon Dr. David Allison uses his extensive knowledge, experience and artistic skills to create a natural-looking outcome.
What a Facelift Can Correct
Facelifts are performed to:
- Tighten loose skin
- Provide a lift to sagging skin
- Reduce the appearance of deep creases and wrinkles
- Reduce jowls
- Improve facial tone
- Rejuvenate droopy eyes
The facelift procedure is performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
- An incision is necessary to re-contour the face. The placement and size of the incision will depend on what aesthetic goals you desire. Incisions are typically made along the hairline near the temples, extending around the earlobe to the lower scalp. Shorter incisions only around the ear may be sufficient to make the necessary alterations. All incisions are made in the most discreet locations as possible so visible scarring is minimized.
- From the incision, the skin is gently lifted to allow Dr. Allison to remove or reposition fat, tighten the underlying muscles and reposition connective tissue. Excess skin is removed for a tighter appearance.
- The incisions are closed with sutures and protected with a dressing. A temporary drainage tube may be inserted to aid in healing.
Full recovery from facelift surgery may take 2-3 weeks. During this time you should follow Dr. Allison’s instructions implicitly to avoid complications.
- Attend all post-op appointments so Dr. Allison can monitor your healing
- Take prescribed pain medication if needed
- Use a cold compress to reduce swelling and bruising
- Keep your head elevated when lying down
- Avoid strenuous activities for 2 weeks
- Avoid smoking for 2-4 weeks to avoid delayed healing
Risks of Facelifts
Like any surgical procedure, facelifts do have potential risks. Rest assured that Dr. Allison has performed hundreds of facelift procedures and he takes measures to reduce the risks. To avoid complications, Dr. Allison is diligent about only performing this procedure on qualified candidates and using the very best surgical methods. Some risks may include:
- Nerve damage
- Facial numbness
- Blood clots
To achieve the best results, Dr. David Allison may recommend a facelift in conjunction with other procedures such as a neck lift, liposuction of jawline and neck, brow lift or eyelid surgery.
To learn more about facelift surgery and to find out if you are a good candidate for a facelift in Northern Virginia, contact us to schedule a Cosmetic Consultation.